Can you believe it? It’s our second anniversary of doo wop acappella at Roxy & Dukes and we’re celebrating big time with a special show. As very special guests, we are thrilled to announce the CAMEOS will be performing acappella. The Cameos are known as New Jersey’s greatest oldies band – normally an 8 person vocal and instrumental band who have opened from everyone from the Temptations to Frankie Valli. But on this night they’ll be singing acappella and doing two sets. If you heard them on Doo Wop Explosion II, you know these guys can sing! In addition, we have a couple of special guests. Joel Katz (the Voice of Jersey Doo Wop) has volunteered to stop by and sing a song or two with the Cameos. And the members of Sidestreet, who will be in the audience, have offered to sing a couple songs for us. Sidestreet will be singing at Roxy & Dukes in December.
The first 49 paid admissions will receive a very limited edition Classsic Urban Harmony souvenir pen! Plus, we have a number of very special door prize drawings. Each paid admission will get a ticket that they can drop into the container representing a prize they’d like to win. We’ll have a separate drawing for each door prize. Take a look below at some of the door prizes we’ll have:
- Two copies of the brand new Billy Vera autobiography, “Harlem To Hollywood” (donated by Billy Vera by way of his publicist).
- Three copies of the book “Who Sang Our Song,” the 489 page listing of 30,000 doo wop song titles with who sang them, label and year! (Published in association with Ronnie I’s UGHA and donated by author Douglas Friedman).
- One VG+ copy of the 45 RPM record, The Squires – “Dreamy Eyes” / “Dangling With My Heart” (Aladdin 3360). It has a sticker on one side (probably writing underneath) but otherwise this is a $60 record.
- A copy of the book, “Du-Wop” by Johnny Keyes (lead of the Magnificents of “Up On The Mountain” fame), autographed and dated by Mr. Keyes himself. This copy was owned by the late group harmony historian Phil Groia and had light pencil annotations by Phil. Filled with amazing photos, contracts, etc.
- A high quality reproduction of the lobby card for the movie, “Rockin’ The Blues” with a color photo of the Hurricanes. This reproduction was made by Ronnie I. in very limited quantity from the super rare original that hangs in our Classic Urban Harmony Archives. This is suitable for framing.
- Kreiter’s 8th (Yellow) Edition of the “45 RPM Vocal Group Record Price Guide (1949 – 2003)”. This is more than a price guide. It’s 541 pages listing 20,000 R&B and Doo Wop records by label, including artist, titles, label #, year and price. These guides are used by virtually all collectors, but are now out of print and Impossible to find. When this turns up on the internet it goes for $50+.
- Limited edition CD (only about 20 made) of all the recordings made by Zeke Brown of the Calvaes (Cobra label), Blenders (Aladdin, APT labels), Accents (Mercury, M-Pac, One-Derful labels).
- 2-CD Box set of the Moonglows (42 cuts).
- 3-CD Box Set of the Cadillacs (60 cuts).
- Daniel Wollf’s definitive biography of Sam Cooke.
- Ted Fox’s book, “Showtime At the Apollo”.
- Plus more door prizes.
This will be one big celebration party. We hope all of our friends will be able to attend. Our sincere thanks to all of who have supported our efforts over the past 24 months. July 30 will be out 25th acappella show at Roxy & Dukes in two years. Make plans to come out and celebrate with us. – Charlie & Pam
Here are a couple videos of the Cameos singing acappella at our last Doo Wop Explosion.